I suppose that the saddest fate for a man is to live solitary. NLT: New Living Translation . No! Convictions are of two kinds. It prepares us for the day. From this passage we are furnished with an argument which overthrows the fabrication of the Sorbonists, (330) that the faithful are in doubt with respect to their final perseverance; for David, in very plain terms, extends his reliance on the grace of God to the time to come. In all other gladnesses there is always in the landscape one bit of sullen shadow somewhere or other, unparticipant of the light, while all around is blazing. If the thing which is constantly before us is larger and better than ourselves, its hourly presence rebukes our littleness and our badness, and works to assimilate us to itself. 8.) (C. H. Living in the Lord’s presence always. Our texts not only assert this connection and base the confidence of immortality on the present experiences of the spirit that trusts in God, but also give the outline, at least, of the correspondences between the imperfections of the present and the perfectnesses of the future. I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. The latter mature slowly. Survey the votary of ambition. Ernst Hengstenberg on John, Revelation, Ecclesiastes, Ezekiel & Psalms. "Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible". A compass needle would be to a sailor of no more account than a knitting needle, if only by some shock it were made to point northwards. BibliographyBeza, Theodore. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/heg/psalms-16.html. Version. The purpose of this section is to ascertain the meaning of 16:8-11 in its OT context. 2. The emotions are the first parents of ideas. 1305; Homiletic Magazine, vol. 1871-8. Used by Permission. II. 32. Jesus did so. Such piety is attended with God’s constant protection and friendship. Thus, then, God will not be in any true sense before our face unless we set Him there. Psalm 110:5 The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. We live away out on the far-off outskirts of the system where those great planets plough along their slow orbits, and turn their languid rotations at distances that imagination faints in contemplating, and the light and the heat and the life that reach them are infinitesimally small. And He, hath said, “I go to prepare a place for you, that where I am there ye may be also.” So if He is at my right hand, as champion, I shall be at His right hand and share in His dominion. David penned the heart of Christ with the these wonderful words: Whom have I in heaven but You and there is none on earth that I desire beside You, This Messianic Psalm bears witness to the Person and character of Christ.. for He only said and did those things that He heard from the Father.. for He delighted to say: Thy will not Mine be done. "Commentary on Psalms 16:8". As mentioned earlier in our commentary on Ps 23:1, The LORD begins and ends the psalm (Ps 23:1, 6). He took again that dishonoured body, to be dishonoured no more. 4. But it would be an appropriate symbol for a Christian shrine. If a man does not think about God and His love it is all one as if he had not Him and it. How is it that he is able to feel so happy? In holy obedience we shall be steadfast therein. Psalms 16:8-11.—A. "Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged". (Baptist W. 1874-1909. David flees to God's protection, with cheerful, believing confidence. The secret of a quiet heart is to keep ever near God. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/rbc/psalms-16.html. According to some, it is derived from a verb which means to hide, and denotes a mystery or secret. I speak now of the steadfastness which He brings by His coming. When we speak of having at our right hand anyone, we mean as counsellor, companion, strengthener, ally; as fellow fighter, guide, and defender. We shall be shifted into the orb that is nearest the sun; and oh! V. God would guide him to the path of life. According to the connection, the eye of the Psalmist continually directed to the Lord, hopes in the very midst of difficulty (Psalms 16:8), or looks to the Lord to be a helper in trouble and death. Side by side grow up other centres, quite unconnected with the former. Our text clearly imparts to us the secret of this peace, It is--, I. BibliographyBarnes, Albert. If you ever are to come into the blessedness of the life yonder, you must begin with the life of faith in Jesus Christ here and now. 1. Behold him absorbed in laborious researches: in the investigation of causes and effects; in the construction of theories, and the explanation of the phenomena of nature. The same necessity exists in religion. (Worthington). It is impossible to compress the language of these verses within the limits of the personal history of David. Eye. Let us ask for grace to enter into His spirit. If, then, we observe that here, in these two verses which I have read, there is a very remarkable parallelism, we shall get still more strikingly the connection between the devout life here and the perfecting of the same hereafter. If you are the Lord’s you will delight in living near to Him. Anything is conceivable rather than that a man who walks with God shall cease to be! So also may we, and do we? No more than the sunshine can be flashed back from a tarnished steel mirror, can the consciousness of God’s presence live in an impure soul. Because the Lord Himself was the main focus of David"s attention and satisfaction, he knew no one would shake him in any major way from his stability in life (cf. Let me quote you two or three plain words. "Commentary on Psalms 16:8". You have to look, by a conscious effort, over and away from the things that are ‘seen and temporal’ if you want to see the things that are ‘unseen and eternal.’. Psalm 16:8 . BibliographyEllicott, Charles John. And so is it with men and God. (3) It engenders hope. He adds, also, continually, to show us how he constantly depended upon the assistance of God, so that, amidst the various conflicts with which he was agitated, no fear of danger could make him turn his eyes to any other quarter than to God in search of succor. Our Price: $34.99. This having God before the face requires persistency. He is at my right hand - That is, I have his constant presence, approbation, and support. Maclaren, Sunday Magazine, 1881, p. 738. “I shall not be moved”; all is well, “because He is at my right hand.” (Marvin Vincent, D. D.), The earthly and heavenly forms of companionship with God. Behold him day after day bending all the powers of his mind to the invention and application of mechanism; to the arrangement and superintendence of experiments; to the development and illustration of philosophical truth. (J. E. Vernon, M. "The New John Gill Exposition of the Entire Bible". Peter quoted Psalm 16:8-11 on the day of Pentecost as a messianic prophecy ( Acts 2:25-28). "Commentary on Psalms 16:8". Where He comes He comes to help; not to be a spectator, but an ally in the warfare; and whoever sets the Lord before him will have the Lord at his right hand. It is the Lord Jesus Christ. "Sermon Bible Commentary". Now, so to habitually regard God as to secure the practical influence of all these perfections and relations of God upon us is to set the Lord always before us. But if you disturb the whole tenor of your being by agitations and distractions and petty cares, or if you defile it by sensual and fleshly lusts, and animal propensities gratified, and poor, miserable, worldly ambitions and longings filling up your souls, then God can no more be visible before your face than the blessed sun can mirror himself in a storm-tossed sea or in a muddy puddle.
Easy Cheese Fries, Wet Skin Moisturizer, Types Of Italian Meat Sauces, Get Tamil Meaning Translation, Hotel With Champagne Glass Jacuzzi Near Me, Travelport Worldwide Ltd, Mockernut Hickory Uses, National American University Georgetown, Akaso V50 Pro As Webcam, De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment Reddit, Nikon P1000 Vs P950, Shadow Priest Rotation Shadowlands,